SQUARE TAPER BOTTOM BRACKETS
All of our threaded bottom bracket cups will fit onto any of our bottom bracket cartridges produced by Phil Wood since 1971. They are an interference fit with the bottom bracket, and will require our proprietary Phil Wood bottom bracket installation tool (unchanged since 1971) to install. Cups will ship with a small tube of our thread retaining compound.
- We offer bottom bracket cups in these sizes:
- British (1.370 x 24 tpi, RH/LH thread) in stainless steel and 7075 aluminum
- British E-Type (1.370 x 24 tpi, RH/LH thread) with wider drive cup and LH lockring in stainless steel
- Italian (36mm x 24 tpi) in stainless steel and 7075 aluminum
- French (35mm x 1mm) stainless steel
- Swiss (35mm x 1mm, RH/LH thread) stainless steel
- Raleigh Super Corsa (1.370 x 26 tpi, RH/LH thread) stainless steel
- Chater Lea (1.450″ x 26 tpi, RH/LH thread) stainless steel
- T47 (47 x 1 tpi, RH/LH thread) 7075 aluminum
Our British, Italian and T47 aluminum cups are anodized or Teflon impregnated. This provides cup compatibility for both aluminum and titanium bottom bracket shells. All our cups are made from either US-produced stainless steel or a high tensile strength cold finish 7075 aluminum bar stock.
Cutting taps used to produce the bottom bracket thread in both the frame and our cups leave microscopic hairs and cracks in the thread form. We hand polish our stainless steel cup thread to all but eliminate galling between our cups and the bottom bracket thread.